Travel Advice - Useful Tips and Information to Help you Enjoy Your Holiday
When you travel abroad, it's important to plan for your trip well in advance, even if you are a seasoned traveller. The Foreign Office has some great advice on their website about overseas travel, which we have reflected in our tips below:
- Buy comprehensive travel insurance and declare any pre existing medical conditions
- Apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get cheap, or sometimes free, state provided healthcare in the European Economic Area and Switzerland
- Research the country you will be visiting, even if you have travelled there before. Find out if the Foreign Office has advised against travelling to certain parts of a country or if there is a threat of terrorism.
- The FCO publish continually updated travel advice by country; check the latest information before you travel.
Travel Advice by Country
You can also sign up for email alerts to get the latest updates for the countries you are visiting, follow the FCO on twitter (@fcotravel) and on Facebook.
- Check that your passport is valid - for some countries it needs to be valid for six months
- Make copies of your passport and travel documents and store them separately to the originals
- Visit your doctor to ask about travel vaccinations or for advice about travelling with a pre existing medical condition if you have one
- If you need to take medication abroad, store it in your hand luggage and get a letter from your doctor detailing your entitlement to medication. Take plenty of spare medication with you in case you are delayed on the way home
- Research local laws and customs and pack clothing that abides by them